~


Saturday, August 14, 2010

Coconut-Lemon Hand Scrub

Confession time.   While I've never really been one to wear a lot of makeup, I've always loved lovely scented body products like shower gels, lotions, scrubs, etc.   And while I maybe don't buy the most expensive products, I always have plenty of them around.

Lately, I've become more and more interested in making some of these products myself, because I think there are ways to make better products for less money per use (although the initial purchase of some of the ingredients is more expensive).   I thought I'd share with you my latest creation.     It was inspired from a couple of different "recipes" I found on the web, and I'm sorry but I didn't save the links to give them credit.

Some of the ingredients you might not be familiar with, but they are reasonably available.  

I've been using extra virgin coconut oil for a while now;  it's a fantastically healthy oil to eat, and it's also good for your skin.   Using it straight is a bit messy though, so expect to see it show up as an ingredient in other things as I experiment more.   You can get coconut oil (make sure to get the extra virgin/expellor pressed rather than regular, especially if you're going to consume it) at a health food store or with the organic/healthy type products in a regular grocery store.   I order larger containers like this online because even with the shipping, it's less expensive than multiple small jars.

The other ingredient is sweet almond oil which is also a great skin moisturizer.   I also ordered this online from Netrition, but it's available in a lot of places.    I've seen it in a few health food stores.   You could also substitute jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil, or even just all coconut oil in place of the almond oil if you wanted. 

Otherwise, the ingredients are easy to find.

For the scrub, mix 1 1/2 cups of epsom salts with the zest of one lemon, juice of one lemon, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (when liquid;  warm slightly if solid), and 3 tablespoons of sweet almond oil.   

That's it...just that simple.    If I had a little lemon essential oil, I would have added a drop or two of that to boost the lemon aroma as it's subtle.    Lemon is used because it can help strengthen nails as well as acts as an astringent/anti-bacterial/antifungal.   And of course, it just smells lovely and fresh.


To use, just scoop out a generous tablespoon of the scrub and work into your hands, elbos, heels, wherever needs a little TLC.    Rinse with warm water and pat dry.

Your hands may feel a little greasy after using this if you're used to commercial products, but give it about 15 minutes or so and your skin will feel wonderfully soft and smooth.

Enjoy!

No comments: