~


Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The Land of Not-Quite-Finished Projects Part 2: Vintage

These are a few Anne Powell designs that I did around 1999 or 2000. Unfortunately I don't think many, if any, of her designs are available anymore. I still have a couple patterns in stash that I haven't done.

As I previously mentioned, I'm a fan of all things Victorian, and these remind me of the simple but pretty mottos of that era. I generally prefer "Victorian elaborate" over "vintage simple" but I've always been fond of these designs. "Good Night and Pleasant Dreams" was intended as a top for a throw pillow to put in a guest bedroom. Obviously I was planning well ahead because when I stitched it, I had a one bedroom apartment LOL. It's a nice shape to do a roll pillow style. I love florals (as you may have guessed) so I really like the simple roses in this. It's stitched on 28 count lugana with 3 threads of floss over 2.

I think I might prefer to frame this rather than make it into a pillow now. I think this would be really pretty on linen stitched in hand dyed silks and using beads instead of the single stitches. Yes, it's crossed my mind to redo it in this way. I originally intended this piece to be framed, but I'm not sure what I want to do with it now. Again, the single stitches would really lend themselves to being replaced with beads.

If you know anywhere that Anne Powell designs might be available, I'd love to see if there are new ones available. Most if not all of her available designs are these simple but pretty vintage mottos; about 10 years ago, there were probably 15 or 20 available. Hoffman's only has one available, and her website appears to be gone.

No comments: